Available Indexes and ETFs Revised for 4th Quarter – 70 More ETFs Now Available For a Total of 181

The quarterly compilation list revision is now complete.  Every quarter, ETFs that fall below the top 111 as measured by trade volume are deleted from the compilation list.  Historical breadth charts, reports and datafiles are generated on the “new” top 111. 

This quarter’s revision also makes available 70 additional ETFs for a total of 181 of the top trade volume US equity ETFs.  With the introduction of two new Dow indexes, there are now 33 covered indexes, a total of 214 indexes and ETFs in our compilation list.

To view the complete current compilation list, go to:

http://www.masterdata.com/Content/IndexesETFs.htm

Here are the additions to the top 111:

Here are the ETFs that have fallen out of the top 111:

As previously mentioned two indexes have also been added.  One was in response to a subscriber request and the other is an index used as the benchmark for the newly added ProShares UltraShort Consumer Services (SCC).

Because the 70 new ETFs are being added this quarter, the deletions listed above actually wind up somewhere in the new list of 70.  The exception is PMR which dropped out of the top 181 altogether.

The expanded ETF list introduces a wide variety of sectors and industry groups as well as two large, but previously unrepresented, sponsors, First Trust and WisdomTree.

Windows 7 / Vista MasterDATA Composite Plug-in for MetaStock

(The MasterDATA Composite Plug-in allows MetaStock users to download our historical breath datafiles and use them directly in MetaStock with no import or conversion.)

Version 4.0 of the MasterDATA Composite Plug-in is now released and ready for download.  This new release fully accommodates both Vista and Windows 7.  As Microsoft continues to tighten security in  its operating systems, what worked well before is not necessarily compatible with what works today.  In this case, revisions in the way that the  “C:\Program Files” directory is handled, changed everything.  But, as they say, “as one window closes, another one opens” and Microsoft opened a new, exceptionally convenient window, the “C:\ProgramData” directory.   You can’t easily write to the former anymore, but you can write, at will, to the new one.  Better yet, that is exactly what Microsoft has in mind.

Anything is easy if you know how.  Same goes here.  I can’t tell you how much wheel spinning I did trying to track down why we were incurring a growing number of installation issues.  It was fairly apparent that Vista and Windows 7 had something to do with it, but what?  Some users with these operating systems installed without issue.  For the ones who didn’t, however, it was very frustrating.  My apologies. 

The solution turned out to be a fairly easy one and, frankly, one that makes everything simpler.  Simpler is always better.  I just needed to write the necessary configuration files to the location Vista and Windows 7 now provided for the purpose.  One that never existed before.  And one that, amazingly, in all the forums I searched, no one talked about. 

So its fixed.  Its as easy an installation as I have ever written.  And once installed, it is rock solid in operation.

Existing users really don’t really need to upgrade.  Frankly, before now, it was getting to the point I think I subconsciously discouraged existing subscribers from upgrading at all.  No longer.  Although you do not need to upgrade, I encourage everyone to upgrade at their earliest convenience.  You will be very pleased.  If you are not already a Vista and Windows 7 user, you probably will be eventually.  By the way, for what its worth, Windows 7 gets my vote.

New Web Servers

The move to our new dedicated web servers is complete.  Although there will always be further tweaking, that has always been the case.  Importantly, the list of benefits is long.

Server speed is almost twice as fast.  That translates into getting our datafiles on the website in less than ten minutes after the hour versus 15 minutes previously.  Our breadth reports and charts are on the website in less than 15 minutes versus up to 25 to 30 minutes before.

The internet connection speed of the new web servers dwarfs our previous connection speed.  Of course, your speed will still be dictated by your local connection speed, but this speed on our end means no slow down due to higher traffic during the course of the day.  We now have virtually unlimited bandwidth with 100% network uptime.

Just as important, we now have a full time on-site staff of network professionals monitoring our web servers 24/7.  If there is a hardware failure it will be fixed within three hours.  They promise, no network outages, period.  Thankfully, in seven years of running the same servers here locally, I never had one hardware failure, but that was sheer luck.  I knew if it ever happened, I would most likely be down for a day or more.  Now they watch things while I sleep.

The list of benefits is much longer that this, but it all boils down to reliability and speed.