MasterDATA Compilation List Revised For 2nd Quarter, 2009

The quarterly revision of the MasterDATA Compilation List is now complete and again reflects the top 111 trade volume ETFs.  Subject to our inclusion criteria, this list is revised quarterly to reflect the most highly traded, liquid US equity Exchange Traded Funds.

Vanguard continues to be unresponsive to our repeated requests for accurate, timely constituent lists.  While they admit that it would be a good thing to do, they also say that they are simply not going to do anything about it.  So, a management decision is in order.  I cannot post data on the website that is unreliable, at best.  Thus, Vanguard ETFs will no longer be included in the compilation list.  I haven’t given up on Vanguard and will continue the lobbying effort, but for now I know this is the right thing to do.  Actually, many of their ETFs had dropped out of the top 111 so this is not as big a deal as it could be.  Some day, Vanguard will realize that withholding information from the investing public only hurts themselves.  At the other end of the spectrum is iShares who has my highest praise for their efforts in providing as much up to date data as they can.  The ever growing popularity of their funds speaks for itself.

As I mentioned at the time of the last quarterly revision, there is a problem obtaining constituent lists for some of the Direxion ETFs.  As I mentioned previously, they do publish their current constituent lists every day on their website.  But, their ETFs are leveraged and, as a result, contain things other than stocks such as swaps.  In other words, the actual constituent list is not very useful for compiling composite breadth data.  So for their ETFs based upon things like the Russell 1000 Financial or Russell 1000 Energy indexes ((neither of which are “official” Russell indexes but only a part of their larger indexes) constituent lists are difficult to obtain and not for publication.  Direxion ETFs based on this type of “index” segment therefore will not be included in the compilation list

Enough editorializing.  To review all of the additions / deletions to MasterDATA’s Compilation List since the beginning, click here or on “Compilation List Revisions” in the left column under “Categories”.

For the current MasterDATA Compilation List, please click here.

Subscribers may click on the Index or ETF names below to see breadth charts on that issue.  These charts and indicators are available nowhere else on the Internet.

New ETF Additions
These new additions ranked in the top 111 trade volume ETFs on July 6, 2009:

Deleted ETFs:
The deleted ETFs below experienced trade volume less than the top 111 ETFs at the end of the quarter.

• iShares Dow Jones U.S. Oil Equipment & Services Index Fund (IEZ)
  • Vanguard Viper Div Appreciation (VIG)
  • Vanguard Viper Ext Market (VXF)
  • Vanguard Viper Financials (VFH)
  • Vanguard Viper Growth (VUG)
  • Vanguard Viper LargeCap (VV)
  • Vanguard Viper MidCap (VO)
  • Vanguard Viper MidCap Growth (VOT)
  • Vanguard Viper REIT (VNQ)
  • Vanguard Viper SmCap (VB)
  • Vanguard Viper Tot Stk Mkt (VTI)
  • Vanguard Viper Value (VTV)